Atlanta Falcons Camp Update — August 16: Tua Starts, Penix Still Waits, and Pearce Gets Eight Games
2026 NFL Season · Sunday, Aug 16
Tua Tagovailoa started the preseason opener while Michael Penix dressed and watched, still uncleared for team drills with no date attached. Hours before kickoff, the league suspended James Pearce Jr. for eight games — on a defense that already lost Jalon Walker for the year. The bridge scenario is now the schedule, and the pass rush is the new emergency.
The full episode, in writing
Tua Tagovailoa started the preseason opener, Michael Penix dressed and watched — still uncleared for team drills, with no date attached — and hours before kickoff the NFL suspended James Pearce Jr. for eight games, on a defense that had already lost Jalon Walker for the year. In July we said Atlanta's price was a bet against a knee — the best roster on paper in the South, the whole seven-to-nine-win distribution hanging on Penix's training-camp clearance, and a bridge scenario said out loud: if the knee isn't right in September, this becomes a Tua team. Last Sunday we called it COMPLICATED, because the clearance was 10 days late, Tua was taking the probable-first-team reps, and the bridge was assembling itself in the practice reports.
The preseason opener answered last week's second watch item in the most literal way available. Tua started Friday's game against the Broncos, a 27-7 loss at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. He played two series — 3 of 5 for 22 yards, per Charles Odum of the Associated Press, though the team's own game breakdown counted it 4 of 5; both agree on the two series and the 22 yards — working from the pocket with completions mostly to Kyle Pitts, and got out clean. Penix dressed but did not play, still under medical limitations, per Will McFadden and Tori McElhaney on the team's website. Then the evening went sideways. Cooper Rush threw two interceptions, including the one that defined the night: a 13-play drive that had reached Denver's 7-yard line, kept alive by completions to Chris Blair and Dylan Drummond, ended with Jahdae Barron carrying a Rush pass 97 yards the other way. Atlanta trailed 24-0 at halftime and scored only on a one-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. Undrafted rookie Jack Strand finished the game, as Kevin Stefanski had planned. Bijan Robinson dressed but sat, still ramping up, and Drake London sat too, with Brian Robinson Jr. taking the first two series. Blair led the receivers with 37 yards, including a difficult 21-yard catch. Left tackle Jake Matthews left after one series — "dealing with something but he's OK," per the Associated Press. Stefanski's postgame read: "I think we have miles to go. There's a lot of work that I'm really pleased with, and there's a lot of work that we have left to do."
The week's biggest development arrived hours before kickoff. The NFL suspended edge rusher James Pearce Jr. eight games for violating the personal conduct policy, effective August 30, with reinstatement eligibility on November 2 — the week Atlanta plays Cincinnati in Madrid — per McFadden on the team's website. He can play in all the preseason games and practice until then. The football math is brutal and simple: Pearce led the team with 10.5 sacks as a rookie, the most by a first-year player since Micah Parsons' 13 in 2021, and now he is gone for half the season. Stefanski, per McElhaney: "We were anticipating the suspension, so we have been pretty intentional about how we've planned it," and, on the room, "We trust we have the guys to step up." That room got its other bad news made official this month too — Jalon Walker's injury from the first padded practice is a torn ACL, he is on injured reserve and out for the entire 2026 season, with defensive back Keidron Smith claimed off waivers as the corresponding move. Samson Ebukam's eulogy for Walker's camp, via the team site: "Man, he was definitely coming into his own. He was rushing the crap out of the passer." The edge rotation now leans on Cam Thomas, Azeez Ojulari, Ebukam, Bralen Trice, Brandon Dorlus and Zach Harrison, and Trice had missed consecutive practices as of Wednesday's camp report.
Last week's first watch item was whether Penix takes a single team-drill rep before the Indianapolis joint practices. He has not, and the answer got firmer than a no: per the team's website, he remains limited to individual work, one-on-ones and seven-on-sevens, and he will stay at that level during next week's joint practices with the Colts. There is still no announced clearance date. Stefanski, asked Wednesday about the job: "We are not there right now to name a starter for Week 1. We will cross that bridge when we get to it." The injury margins elsewhere are thinning as well — right tackle Jawaan Taylor limited to individual drills, Jessie Bates III not practicing but described as getting better, Avieon Terrell and Da'Shawn Hand sitting out Wednesday's session.
Does the July framing hold? Complicated — the bridge-quarterback scenario is no longer a scenario but the operating schedule through at least the Colts week, and the pass rush the projection assumed just lost its two best young edges for most or all of the season. What would change it: any Penix clearance for 11-on-11 work, and how the shorthanded edge room holds up in the Indianapolis joint practices. We'll check Sunday.
_Data via nflverse._
Every Falcons episode
Season reviews, draft recaps and every game recap, in one place.