Jalen Tolbert Camp Update — August 16: The Open Door Isn't Walked Through Yet
2026 NFL Season · Monday, Aug 17
The beat calls Jalen Tolbert's camp inconsistent and relatively quiet, even as he stays in the mix for a starting receiver job. The June case was built entirely on him seizing the opening, and three weeks in, he hasn't.
Follow Jalen Tolbert and get every episode, every week.
The full episode, in writing
Jalen Tolbert's camp has been inconsistent and relatively quiet — that's Antwan Staley at Athlon Sports, via Yahoo, on Tuesday — though Staley adds he will likely make the 53-man roster and is still competing for a starting receiver spot alongside Malik Washington, Tutu Atwell and Caleb Douglas.
The June preview's core argument was all opportunity. We said Tolbert's one good season, the 20-24 year in Dallas, was partly built on touchdowns that don't tend to stick, and that his target volume had always been a rotational share. The whole case for him in Miami was the wide-open room: Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle gone, a starting job available for the taking, and everything depending on whether Tolbert actually took it. Win a job and the volume follows; get passed, and last year's 18 catches is the honest read.
Three weeks of camp haven't settled it, but the lean is visible. Head coach Jeff Hafley says Tolbert has had "some really good moments" while pointing at consistency as the issue, and his praise runs to work ethic, blocking, attitude and mentorship of the younger receivers, per Staley — the vocabulary of a valued roster player more than a declared starter. Tolbert himself is leaning on the Dallas résumé, 49 catches, 610 yards and seven touchdowns two years ago: "I know what I'm capable of... earning my opportunities, helping this team take it to another level," via the Miami Herald's C. Isaiah Small the second, relayed by Athlon Sports. Meanwhile the competition moved without him: on the starters' only drive Friday night, Malik Washington caught three of Malik Willis's four completions.
Does the June read hold? COMPLICATED — the opening is still real and he's still in the competition, but the June case required him to claim a starting job, and the camp evidence so far points at someone else claiming the targets. Inconsistent-but-safe is a roster outcome, not the outcome the argument needed.
Next week: whether Tolbert gets first-team work in preseason game two and does something with it, and whether Hafley's consistency note starts sounding resolved. We'll check next Sunday.
_Data via nflverse._
Keep going